Family Medicine Forum (FMF) is Canada’s largest and most comprehensive annual conference for family physicians. It is hosted by the College of Family Physicians of Canada (CFPC).
FMF focuses on providing four energizing days of practical, cutting-edge, and thought-provoking educational opportunities. Its program features impressive daily keynote presentations and a vast array of continuing professional development (CPD) sessions designed specifically for family physicians, researchers, and teachers.
FMF also offers many special events, celebrations of achievements in family medicine, an extensive Exhibit Hall, and several social opportunities to recharge and network with peers and colleagues.
Physicians, residents, international medical graduates, students, nurses, nurse practitioners, researchers, teachers, and other health care professionals.
Learn from Canada’s experts in family medicine, research, and education; connect with colleagues from both Canada and abroad; and celebrate achievements in family medicine!
FMF 2019 will be held in Vancouver at the Vancouver Convention Centre (VCC).
FMF 2019 takes place Wednesday, October 30th through Saturday, November 2nd.
- International attendees wishing to attend Family Medicine Forum, must be registered and paid in full. Once your registration is complete, please email [email protected] to request your letter of invitation for international delegates.
- Please note that it may take Canadian Embassies/Consulates three (3) months to process a Visa application. Applicants must check with the respective authorities in their country of origin to determine exact processing requirements. For more information about Canadian government requirements for visitors and contact information for Visa offices, visit www.cic.gc.ca.
- Where an attendee is unable to attend Family Medicine Forum due to a failure to obtain a Visa, a $50.00 administration fee will apply.
Yes, your registration fee includes a light breakfast, a morning break, lunch, and an afternoon break daily.
Go to the Vancouver Convention Centre and proceed to registration on the West Level 1 foyer to pick up your badge and badge holder (or just the badge holder, if you printed your badge at home). Please continue directly to breakfast or refer to the schedule for session locations.
Most sessions are offered on a first-come, first-served basis, unless pre-registration only appears in the session description in the program. Pre-registration is required for:
- Mainpro+ certified two-credit-per-hour sessions—additional fees apply
Yes, you need to register for events in advance as tickets will not be available for purchase at the conference.
- Section of Researchers Dinner—purchase tickets in advance
- Celebrating Excellence in Family Medicine Teaching Dinner —purchase tickets in advance
- Awards Gala—purchase tickets in advance
- Student and Resident Social —purchase tickets in advance
If your spouse/partner wants to visit the VCC they must register as an accompanying person. Accompanying persons are entitled to the following inclusions for each day registered:
- Access to the VCC
- Access to the FMF Exhibit Hall
- A light breakfast, two breaks, and lunch daily
- Access to the daily keynote sessions (Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday)
- Admission to the FMF Celebration (Thursday)
- Access to Convocation (Saturday)
- A guest name badge indicating the days for which they are registered/li>
Note: Special evening events are not included—tickets must be purchased in the registration system. Accompanying persons are not eligible to attend breakout or concurrent sessions.
Special note: If your spouse/partner is a physician or a nurse, or falls under any of the other registration categories, they must register separately (i.e., they cannot register as an accompanying person).
If your spouse or partner is not currently licensed to practice medicine in Canada, or is not currently practicing medicine, they may register as an accompanying person. Please note the exclusions listed above.
Children are welcome; registration and fees are not required. Children are invited to attend the following events and activities at FMF with a registered parent/guardian:
- Morning coffee service: 7:00 a.m. to 8:00 a.m. daily
- Keynote session: 8:00 a.m. to 9:30 a.m. daily
- Exhibit hall: Thursday 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. | Friday 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. | Saturday 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
- Coffee breaks: 9:30 a.m.to 10:00 am | 2:30 p.m. to 3 pm daily
- FMF Celebration: Thursday 5:15 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. (Note: this year will feature a Halloween-themed event)
- Convocation: Saturday 5:00 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. (Note: children must be accompanied by an adult who is not participating in the ceremony)
- Infants/babies may attend breakout sessions
- With ticket purchase, children may attend off-site special events (contact us for details)
- Important note: Children must be accompanied by an adult at all times throughout FMF
- Children may attend lunch and share with parents/guardians but boxed lunches are pre-ordered and only available for registered delegates
- Breakout sessions are not suitable for toddlers and older children as we have limited seating and the sessions contain medical content that is inappropriate for children
- Exhibit hall move in and move out: health and safety regulations prohibit anyone under 18 years of age in the exhibit hall during this industrial period
Child care options
- For other times throughout the conference, most hotel partners offer reputable nanny services; please refer to our Hotel and Travel page for details
If you have any questions, please contact [email protected].
All cancellations must be received by email to [email protected] The following fees will apply:
• Cancellations received by August 15th are subject to a $50 cancellation fee
• Cancellations received between August 16th and September 15th are subject to a $150 cancellation fee
• Cancellations received between September 16th and October 2nd are subject to a $250 cancellation fee
• Cancellations received after October 2nd are not eligible for a refund (all fees are non-refundable)
• Workshop registration and Special Event tickets will be non-refundable after October 2nd
The VCC is approximately a 25-minute drive from Vancouver International Airport (YVR). The best way to travel to the VCC from the airport is by transit (SkyTrain, buses and the SeaBus), or taxi. Visit the VCC website for more information.
Visit the Hotel and Travel section of the website for a full list of hotels offering discounted rates for FMF delegates.
Limited Wi-Fi is available on a complimentary basis for email and social media access only. Please refrain from downloading large files or live streaming, as we have limited bandwidth.
Contact your hotel to find out about child care services.
Yes, there will be designated mother and baby room onsite. Location will be available in the FMF App and onsite signage.
Yes, there will be prayer room onsite. Location will be available in the FMF App and onsite signage.
More information coming soon!
Location will be available in the FMF App and onsite signage.
If you have lost something, please email the date you believe you left the item, a description of the item and your contact information to [email protected]. Items found following events at the VCC will remain in Lost & Found for 30 days, after which time they will be donated to one of their designated charities.
Please check back for more information.
The FMF Mobile App works on iOS and Android. For iOS version 8.0 or later, download and install the app from the App Store. For Android version 4.1 or later, download and install the app from Google Play. Blackberry and Windows users can access the web version of the app by visiting the website fmfapp.cfpc.ca. For on-site support at FMF, visit College Square in the Exhibit Hall.
- Grant the CFPC the right and permission to use any such photographs/video clips in which you may be included, in whole or in part, for education and promotional purposes
- Waive any right that you may have to inspect and/or approve any such photographs/video clips
- Transfer to the CFPC any right you may have to such photographs/video clips and waive moral rights, if any
- Release and discharge the CFPC from any liability that may arise from the use of such photographs/video clips by the CFPC
All photographic materials become the property of the CFPC and may be displayed, distributed, or used by the CFPC for any purpose. Names and/or brief bios would be included with permission.
Delegate information: The collection of registrants’ personal information is subject to privacy laws. Registrant contact information is made available to Mainpro+ certified two-credit-per-hour workshop course providers for their session(s) only. This contact information is to be used for the provision of pre- and post-course materials related to the session(s) only and must not be used for any other purpose.
- FMF requires between 220,000 and 375,000 square feet in one main venue to host FMF
- 100,000 sq. ft of exhibit space, with adequate loading facilities
- 45,000 sq. ft of congruous, pillar free, meeting space for a 3000+ keynote theatre
- 25+ concurrent breakout rooms, in various sizes to host 4,000-5,000 guests at all times
- There are currently only a few Canadian venues and cities that can currently accommodate FMF:
- Vancouver, BC
- Winnipeg, MB
- Toronto, ON
- Montreal, QC
- Quebec City, QC (reexamination required to determine if the current program will fit)
- FMF requires 4000-5000 hotel room nights, within 10-15 minutes walk of the main venue
- FMF requires multiple access points to the destination from air and land travel across Canada
- We work closely with airlines, hotel chains and tourism bureaus to examine and secure capacity
- As new sites emerge, we work with tourism regarding feasibility of adding it to the FMF rotation
- FMF dates take into consideration several factors and we try to avoid many overlaps:
- Any other city wide / large conventions in the host city
- We endeavor to keep our date pattern consistent Wed-Sat to minimize time away from practice
- Any religious holidays
- Other large medical conferences (FMX, ICRE, NAPCRG etc)
- Chapter events
- Major CFPC examination dates
- Significant dates such as Halloween, Thanksgiving, Remembrance Day etc when possible
- Sometimes we cannot avoid certain scheduling circumstances, but we do our best to adapt the conference to meet the needs of our attendees
Sessions and Credits
Please check back for more information.
Please check back for more information.
Your badge will be scanned at each session, which will automatically report your credits.
Badges will be scanned at each session to track your attendance and your credits will be uploaded to your Mainpro+ account.
While on-site at FMF, you can visit the registration desk and have the missed session added to your record. After FMF, if you are missing any credits in your Mainpro+ holding account, please contact [email protected] or 1-800-387-6197 ext. 560.
These sessions will be scanned and credits will be uploaded to your Mainpro+ account.
Yes, if space permits.
Room assignments will be listed in the Final Program and on the FMF Mobile App. Most session titles will also be displayed on signage outside rooms. Mainpro+ certified two-credit-per-hour session locations will be provided to you as part of your registration confirmation.
Session evaluations will be available in the FMF Mobile App for each session. Alternatively, a link will be posted on our website with access to session evaluations.
Badges will be scanned at all sessions and you will receive an email confirmation after FMF with all the sessions for which you were scanned. If you are missing any credits in your Mainpro+ holding account, please contact [email protected] or 1-800-387-6197 ext. 560.
Many exhibitors will have bar code readers at their booths. With your permission, booth staff will scan the bar code on your badge to obtain the information they need to follow up with you after FMF. You are under no obligation to allow exhibitors to scan your badge.
Exhibit Hall maps and exhibitor lists with booth numbers can be found in the FMF Exhibit Hall Guide and on the FMF Mobile App.
For all exhibit-related questions, please contact Isis Lamb at [email protected].
Convocation will be held on Saturday, November 2nd, 2019, in Ballroom ABC of the Vancouver Convention Centre – West Building. Doors open for guests at 16:00. Ceremony will take place from 17:00-19:00.
Please refer to the Convocation and Gowning Schedule here.
Letters of invitation to the ceremony will be sent in July to the following:
- Fall 2018 and spring 2019 recipients of the CCFP designation
- New Fellows who received a letter of invitation from the College in 2019
- Successful recipients of the Certificates of Added Competency
- New Life members
- Award recipients, who will be members of the Platform Party
- Those who have earned designations in previous years and are included by their special request (please contact [email protected])
If you haven’t received your invitation to attend Convocation, please contact [email protected] to verify your status as a Convocation participant.
Yes! We encourage you to attend this special event. Please celebrate your achievement—be it receiving your CCFP, Fellowship, Life Membership, or Certificate of Added Competency.
Please RSVP online via the FMF registration system.
You do not need to register for FMF, but you do need to register to attend Convocation. There is no fee to attend the ceremony. Please RSVP online via the FMF registration system.
Gown pick up will take place on Saturday, November 2, 2019 from 8:00-14:00 in Ballroom D of the Vancouver Convention Centre.
Gown and hood return will take place in Ballroom D from 18:30-19:00.
Portrait photography is available on-site on Saturday on-site from 8:00 to 14:00. in room 201 at the VCC on a first-come, first-served basis. We encourage you to arrive early if you wish to have a professional photograph taken.
Family and close friends are welcome to join you for this special event.
Yes. Please ensure that you have arranged to have someone stay with them in the audience as they will not be seated with you.
The gowns tend to be warm, so please dress accordingly. How you choose to dress is entirely up to you as the Convocation participant, but do keep in mind this is a special event.
More questions? Please contact us at [email protected]